Do Eating Low Fat Foods Help Weight Loss?
Watch what you're eating
A lot of clients will always be confused when it comes to what foods they should be eating when trying to lose weight. It's so bloody confusing, we hear you! The food industry is hard to get your head around. So let's try and give you a little bit of information to help you make smarter choices when it comes to your fitness journey.
Low Fat foods are marketed towards consumers as a healthy option, but are they? They may certainly be low in fat, however a lot of times they will be filled instead with artificial sweeteners or sugar. So it's fair to say as a consumer if you're going to buy food with a label on the side you need to do a bit more investigation work. Checking the sugar component is key to also ensuring the product is in fact good for you to be eating.
It's also good to remember though that some fats are required for your body to function properly. Monounsaturated and Polyunsaturated fats are the good fats in a controlled qty. You will find these fats in items like Avocados, Nuts and Fish.
The fats you should be avoiding are saturated or trans fats. Typically found in deep fried foods, chips, biscuits, chocolate and take away foods.
Our quick tips to help you shop and eat better
- Shop around the edges of the supermarket. Typically if it comes in a box or bag you should be leaving it in the store.
- If you're buying something with saturated or trans fats, place the item back on the shelf and keep shopping.
- Just because it's low fat doesn't mean it's good for you. On these items make sure you check the sugar content and artificial sweeteners.
- Cook food fresh yourself at home. Buy fresh and put your cooking hat on. It can be really rewarding fitting into old clothes in your cupboard and yet all you've done is changed your food habits.
- Do some reading on how to read food labels correctly. They are full of information and will tell you whether it's a yes or no to purchasing the product.
- If you're shopping for weight loss foods, nuts, grains and avocados are good for your diet but in small quantities due to their high caloric count.
- Weight loss still comes down to calories out verse calories in.
It may seem like a lot of effort but eating healthy is about taking control of your life for the better!
If you have any other questions don't hesitate to reach out and let us know.