Obese / Overweight? What are you going to do?
Why are overweight and obese figures continuing to rise?
Everywhere you look you will notice overweight / obese adults and children all around us. So what’s going on with our lifestyles to be creating this massive issue? Is it because life is just about convenience now or is it just far too easy and cheap to purchase calorie filled unhealthy foods? Whichever way your leaning on this topic, something seriously needs to be done to help get our waistlines trimmed down. Over the last 20 years we have seen a massive increase in overweight and obesity rates among Australians.
Based on data from the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare, at the end of 2015 almost 2/3 of adults were either overweight or obese. That’s 63%! It’s quite unfathomable to think that we have allowed our society to become this overweight with no intervention. The amount of issues from being overweight are insane and yet we don’t seem to be doing anything about it. Some of these issues are the simple yet bad habits we are teaching our children. Within the same study it had found that 26% of children and adolescents were also overweight or obese. THIS IS ALARMING NEWS! One can also only assume that being 2 years further down the track that these numbers have most likely increased.
What are some of the stumbling blocks?
So why have we let ourselves get like this? What are the stumbling blocks for most people? Here’s a few things to give you an idea but we know there is plenty more:
- Technology is making us far more lazy
- We use escalators and lifts over steps
- Most of us sit for work behind computers all day
- We shop for convenience
- High fat and high calorie filled foods are easily purchased from anywhere
- People have lost the art of being able to cook food from fresh ingredients
- We are working longer and longer hours without taking balance into account
- We aren’t teaching our younger generation the keys to being healthy
When is enough… enough?
When as a society do we band together and draw a line in the sand and actually create change. It’s all good for discussions to be taking place but when is action going to happen? We have the smartest people heading up this important research but our governments are too scared to create change because it may cost them votes. This is a serious issue and needs attention and with swift changes to be installed. If not, I fear this situation will become far worse. We will have higher figures within our population of people being overweight and obese. Placing even more strain on our already under pressure health care providers will be a given. It will continue to keep costing our economy billions of dollars to treat people that are ill, based on living unhealthy lifestyles.
I truly believe that a lot people don’t understand the negative effects on their lives when they are overweight or obese. Now don’t misinterpret what I’m writing this article for. I’m not here to call out obese people. I’m not here to tell people that they can only eat fruit and vegetables and I’m certainly not here telling women they all need to be a size 6 and men need a 6 pack. What I am preaching though is living a happier and healthier life the best way you possibly can.
What can you do to change your lifestyle?
Here are some tips you can use to create a better lifestyles for yourself, friends, partner or children. What you will notice is that they don’t have to be big changes. Simple changes are much more easily incorporated into your daily life so if you’ve have had any successes of healthy lifestyle changes we’d love to hear from you! We want to be a community where people are happy to help others who they don’t know, but have had the same struggles in their own lives and overcome them. I don’t claim to have all the answers, but I know from personal experience when you choose to make lots of little changes they all add up to big changes. This is where the magic happens!
Tips for changing your lifestyle:
- Write out a list of foods you like, and google ‘healthy recipes’ with those ingredients. You will find thousands of quick and easy recipe ideas.
- Only buy what you need. If you don’t need the multi buy then don’t get it. If it’s in your cupboard you’re more likely to eat it regardless.
- Prepping your food is a big part of success.
- Be willing to try new foods.
- Take your lunch to work with you. Not only will it be healthier but it’s going to save you bucketloads of $’s too!
- Have alcohol free nights Monday to Friday.
- Encourage your kids to help you with the fresh food shopping and cooking also. What you teach them will set them up for their future.
- If you constantly work overtime everyday it’s time to change that habit. Start with making a promise to yourself that 1 night per week (night of your choice) you will finish on time and go home on time. Balance in life is key.
- Take up a sport, bootcamp, group training, take your dog for an extra walk or reach out to a good friend you’d love to catch up with and go walking with them.
- If you want a bigger goal, get on your kids school P&C and start creating change with canteen foods.
- Walk to get your morning coffee instead of driving and parking.
- Join a local walking/jogging group. Get fit and meet new people at the same time.
Honestly there is so much you can do to start changing your life and reducing your waistline for the better. You will feel more energised, happier and far more fulfilled with life by giving some effort and time to focus back on you. Heck you might even be more productive at work which will allow you to finish on time more then just one night a week.
This is just the start, but there is so much more you can do. Being at the stage of wanting to create better change for your own life is key to your successes. All you need to know is… you CAN do it!
Until next time,
Be inspired | Be inspirational | Never give up!
Fitness Director @Whoosh